Divorce and Custody in Maryland
Are you considering filing for divorce or are you ready a party to a divorce proceeding? My name is Joseph K. Githuku and I know this can be time filled with difficult decisions and emotional turmoil.
I can help you understand how to achieve your goals and aggressively protect your rights. I work with both men and women throughout Maryland in divorce and custody proceedings.
Every family is unique and therefore each case is unique. With this philosophical understanding, I take the time to fully understand your case and develop my representation to help you accomplish your goals. For a free initial consultation complete the contact form or call me at 443-982-0475 to set up an appointment.
As a Maryland divorce lawyer, I regularly help my client address these key issues:
- Custody and Visitation - Ensuring that your relationship to your child or children is maintained is critical while minimizing the stressful aspects of a divorce on them.
- Legal Custody – Refers to the decision making aspects of child rearing such as educational and medical choices. Religion also falls in this category.
- Physical Custody – Where are the children going to live a majority of the time?
- Joint – Custody – An arrangement where the children spend half the time, more or less, with each parent.
- Visitation – Whenever one parent is granted primary physical custody the the other parent is awarded visitation Typical visitation is every other weekend, a division of holidays and time during school breaks as well as summer. Visitation can vary depending on the desire of parents to work together.
- Child Support - Together, we will work to determine the financial needs and support your children deserve from each parent and obtain an appropriate court order requiring the non-custodial parent to pay.
- Alimony or spousal support - I will help you determine whether alimony should be paid and, if so, the amount and length of payments.
- Division of marital property – I will work with you to put together an agreement to equitable divide the debts and assets of your marriage, including real and personal property, retirement funds and business assets.
- Legal separation agreements – If you are at the beginning stages of a separation, I can help you put together an agreement that governs all relevant issues.
For a free initial consultation complete the contact form or call me at 443-982-0475 to set up an appointment.